CONFUSION ABOUNDS -

It is a mystery and an embarrassment all in one.
I have inadvertently created two Blogs. Perhaps having two email addresses in two browsers led me into this mess. These two journals do not cross-populate and neither Blogpsot/Blogger nor anyone on-line seems to be able to help me delete this one and bring the other one to this site. This is unfortunate because there are now different followers of each journal and readers of one cannot see the comments of the readers of the other.
The point of notation here is to alert anyone reading this journal to consider reading the comments in the other posting by checking out the other postings that preceded this journal.
To go to the other journal, click here:

http://palew.blogspot.com

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Well, back to reality

Feeling that I was nearing the end of my timeline, I decided to reach out to the Placement Office and see if I could gain any further information as to when I might receive an invitation. I came to this decision point because my file had been deemed complete and it had been referred on to the PC Placement Officer over a week ago and, according to PC Wiki,  it is now less than 6 weeks until the Staging date for my nominated region of service.

Sending the Placement Assistant a polite email seemed like a good thing to do since some others with RAS had written to PC during their wait and I had previously done so myself when my medical packet was being reviewed. I figured a pleasant email might trigger the PC PO to put some consideration toward my file, especially if I indicated that my motivation for writing was because I had read of other applicants having received invitation to the region I am nominated for and that region has a staging date already appearing in PC Wiki.

I sent a polite email the the PC PO Assistant who had previously sent me the news that my file was being forwarded to a Placement Officer and went back to my comfortable life withing the wishful thinking that I will receive an invitation rather quickly.


Well, I found myself back in reality before I could fantasize about it any further. The response came quickly and curtly:

(Edited)

"Let me start out by mentioning that the online blogs are a collection of hear-say from other volunteers who often do not have the full picture and often speculate much on what goes on in our office . . . You have been nominated to one of several programs . . . , many of them are full, some of them are not . . .  This is a long process, and your patience during it is not only appreciated, but indicative of your future success as a volunteer . . ."

Has my effort backfired? Am I now going to receive less consideration because my inquiry will be seen as indicative that I do not possess the degree of patience that PC expects?


I am once again waiting patiently as I watch the calendar move from the 6th week to the 5th week before what PC Wiki has listed as a staging date for my nominated region. (Can I even think about information in PC Wiki?)


Take this posting with the proverbial grain of salt. But for me, I realize that greater PMA is called for now more than ever before.

Continued best wishes to everyone during your wait.

6 comments:

  1. That was a bit harsh, methinks. But they are probably going through a crunch. Chin up, my man. You'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lew. Thanks for the comment on my blog.(Sorry I didn't notice till now). I looked at your blog. I wouldn't get too worried about any of this. I had similar anxieties when awaiting my medical and legal clearances. I believe the legal clearance gets checked for everyone until the background security check is done, and then there may be other issues as well (for me it was satisfying them that certain financial obligations were taken care of).

    I like IAA. You'll fit right in in the Peace Corps! I wouldn't count too much on getting invited to the site of your original nomination. My recruiter told me that comes true only abut 60% of the time. Since you've been accepted, you will certainly get something worthy doing. It may just not be what you had in mind!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! I got the call that my invitation was in the mail five weeks out from departure. I appreciate you reading my blog and am posting an entry today about being an older volunteer. I hope you find it helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment on my post about a similar email experience...Wow!! That response seemed pretty harsh- I would agree with Jim Dana's comment though- at least for Community Development, all but one program in January-March 2011 are now closed, so I wouldn't get my hopes up on leaving near your scheduled departure date. They do a good job of telling us to manage our expectations about regions/jobs, but I think I could have used more emphasis on managing expectations about departure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, just to clarify for other readers- I meant Community Development at least in Latin America, not sure about other regions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lew,

    Thanks for the words of encouragement on my blog. Reading this particular entry (can't believe I'm just reading it now since I live on PCJ ) I am so glad I managed to not give into the temptation to call. Like you, I had read some PCJ blogs where applicants got positive responses/results from contacting PO. Your experience just scared me straight. Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete